24 August, 2009

one month later...

... seems like a good time to come back and tell you all about my vacation! We had a brilliant time in Croatia! I never knew it was so nice there... a bit like the Côte d'Azur or the Italian Riviera actually: beautiful coast with emerald green water, rocky cliffs with lots of nice little tucked-away beaches and quaint little towns with very friendly people. And it was SO hot!





Before I left I felt like I'd finally gotten back into the swing of things. I was so motivated and acutally felt a bit bummed I had to leave... I was also a bit worried that being away from home would send me into "I'm on vacation so I can eat I whatever I like" mode, but guess what... that didn't happen at all! I brought my tracker and all my WW stuff and the mere thought of my sticker sheet at home kept me from straying off plan. Woohooo, that weekly incentive thing SO works! Here's some pictures of what we ate while being on vacation...

This was a typical breakfast while we were on tour with the kayaks... There's no freshly baked bread or any such thing on those lonely beaches, so we had to bring everyhting. In hindsight, it somewhat amazes me that I felt totally satisfied with a few crackers, a little slice of cheese and a nectarine... but it totally worked for me then.

For dinner we always had some variation of this picture: pasta or rice with either lots of veggies or tomato sauce. It's not exactly haute cuisine, but it was reasonably low in points and the carbs were needed for extra energy while paddling... And honestly, there's just nothing better than sitting on the ground, sharing a simple meal and eating it directly out of the pan! Seriously, you should try it. :)

Oh, and of course we also got to try the local speciality: Cevapcici! These savoury sausages contain quite a bit of fat and have like a gazillion points... We had them with a nice fresh salad and I allowed myself to eat three sausages. Yummy!

I know a lot of people struggle with losing weight while being on vacation... For me, it seems to make things a lot easier! Sure, paddling for almost three hours every day helped with losing weight. But when I'm away from home, I'm also suddenly able to tell exactly when I'm full and then STOP eating. And the need for snacking between meals? It's just not there. I don't even think about it. I wish I knew what makes the difference, so I could apply this to my eating habits at home... Because really, that's when things went awry again. But that'll be another post... I'm just glad that I finally have the time to blog again! :)

4 comments:

philippa_moore said...

I'd love to go to Croatia, it looks lovely!

I know what you mean about staying on track while you're on holiday - it's never been a big deal for me either. I balance out any indulgences with heaps of walking and other activities. I think the difference when you're on holiday is perhaps that you're relaxed, you're thinking about other things like exploring a new city, and you're just not thinking about food/points/exercise/etc all the time. That's how it is for me, certainly! When you're at home in a routine, it's a bit harder.

Hope you're going well, and thanks for the lovely comment today! xx

Rebecca said...

glad your back safe and sound!

Fat[free]Me said...

What lovely photos of what looks like a fantastic holiday!

I agree about holidays - to me they allow me extra time to get some great walks in and if it is warm and sunny, salads and fruit are a joy to eat.

Those sausages look delicious...

Lee-Anne said...

Hi Alea. I'm so glad to see you back blogging. I've enjoyed reading and catching up.

Loving your photos and posts.